Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Two dental visits in one day

Leif had his first dental appointment this morning. He actually did pretty well, until he had to open his mouth. Yeah that is evidently one concept that the Elmo Teeth DVD episode didn’t emphasize enough… the fact that he would actually have to open his mouth so the dentist could see the teeth. There was some struggling, but it wasn’t misery. Or at least I didn’t get the impression that it was unusual. He got an all clear report. There were suggestions for sealants at age three because he has very deep crevices in his back teeth, perfect place for decay. And since I am anal about tooth health and bound and determined my kids will not have to suffer the dental angst that I had to suffer, he will be getting the sealants.

I came back to work for a while, 2.5 hours for teleconference and a little time in my office before running off to the dentist myself. I had a cleaning and a bite adjustment. I will just say that after that bite adjustment I am even more happy with my new 7 teeth. Now if insurance (in particular AB’s former insurance company) would just get their act together and pay their measly portion. I don’t even want to hear anymore whining from them, my portion was nearly 3x theirs. They have every excuse in the book – “she isn’t covered”, then why did they cash my COBRA check for continued coverage. “The payment was late”, you cashed it before the due date. “The dental office billed it incorrectly”, rebilled. “We want to see the EOB from the other insurance company”, done. If it isn’t one thing it is another. Buck up Metlife and pay the damn $1500.

I was hesitant to have my cleaning because my benefits have all been exhausted (yes, even routine preventative isn’t covered, I triple checked). But I kept reminding myself how I wouldn’t let Leif get away without an exam because of no insurance, I need to set the example. Then I nearly walked out when I found out I was scheduled with Rose and not Samantha, my preferred hygienist. I willed myself to sit my rear in that chair even though the thought of Rose’s very clumsy hands in my mouth set fear in my heart. Yes, there are two people you don’t want to have clumsy hands, your labor and delivery nurse – or at least that is what Soil Micro Mom tells me, and your dental hygienist. Ok and maybe your hair stylist too…

Rose wasn’t bad. I am over my fear of her. Her hands slipped a few times and then she was surprised that my gums bled when a sharp pointy tool slides across them with an armful of force behind it… Anyways, I lived and I am quite sure that Rose has polished and scraped off my tartar and tartar on the teeth of those people close to me. Do your teeth feel cleaner today?

After my dental appointment AB and I made our way to a new sushi restaurant in our part of town. I hadn’t heard anything about it, which always concerns me about trying a new place. Here, word (both good and bad) of any restaurant spreads like wildfire. It wasn’t bad. It wasn’t great, but I have eaten in some really fantastic and top notch sushi restaurants before. But I can deal with it! The price was right, the menu was somewhat innovative. They had miso and charged for it (boo), but it tasted wonderful. The sushi chef is hidden away in the back somewhere, which was disconcerting. It was SUPER fast, which was another reason I was a little skeptical. But AB pointed out to me that in the roll that had the deep fried softshell crab, the crab was hot! It was made freshly. But it was decent. One thing I cannot figure out for the life of me was why there was krab in my spicy tempura shrimp roll AND in my softshell crab roll (in addition to the real crab). It wasn’t listed on the menu. It isn’t my favorite stuff although I accept its use in California rolls… I just don’t usually eat California rolls. But I would far prefer to have a smaller roll than to use krab to make it seem as though you are getting more. And I would really prefer the subtle flavors not be marred by the presence of fake krab stuff. But like I said, it wasn’t bad and we will go back (and request no krab).

I managed to make it back to work by 2pm today. I probably should have just called the entire day a wash and gone and done something fun. But I didn’t.
I got a concept paper in yesterday and am feeling quite good about it. The funding is through my mentor, we talked about the call, but I developed the concept myself. I am REALLY hoping this goes somewhere. If I could nail this $80K for next year I would be set for projects. My industry collaboration team has elected me (if not for my pleading) to submit this years IR&D (industry research and development) proposal. I popped an idea out there which was met with skepticism, but was handed two concepts to study and figure out which one would be the best and work it up.

There is a little concern here though with this call and this project however. Miss Pink Post Doc is working on this years IR&D. It ends Sept 30 and unless she has something else, she hits the unemployment line. Of course no one wants that to happen. My PM was not gunning for her hire, if anything he cautioned my CW who hired her saying that he wasn’t sure the project could support her. I could hear the “I told you so” chanting in PM’s head this morning. The IR&D funds barely cover the cost of her employment and it is a one year thing. We could, in theory, expand her project and ask for another year, or I can throw out a completely new concept and compete with her for the funds.

Well nobody wants the competition on the project and so our PM has a decision to make. Push forward the concept by an already successful member of the team who is trusted and liked by the client and whose project ended (that would be moi), or push forward the extension of a project that has not proven fruition and that the client has repeatedly scoffed at as a crappy idea. I will research the concepts and work them up, give my PM some time to sit on it. Then I will probably end up suggesting that Miss Pink switches to working for me on October 1. Maybe I do have a little amiable in my blood…

No comments: