Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The 10 Best Restaurants

There was a day when AB and I were huge foodies. We used to travel to a city and have reservations set at some of the top restaurants in the area, often months in advance (for example, Emeril's Fish House in Vegas - and it didn't live up to our inflated expectations... and it had nothing to do with my drunk BIL standing on his chair in the middle of the restaurant... AB finds it important to note that this BIL is NOT either of his brothers).

Our friend Andy posted on his Wine Press Northwest blog his top restaurants. I have decided to follow suit with AB's help.We have over the years kept a list of the best meals and dining experiences in no specific order. The list dates back to 1997 or so and some of the restaurants are now gone or under new names (so I found out on the trip to Reno...) So with AB's help, here is our list:

Top four in a debatable order:

Moose's, San Francisco, CA
We ate at Moose's in San Francisco when I was there for a conference. AB drove over from Reno to meet me. I had just won an award for my research, we had long standing reservations and I could not wait. We ordered their Market Fresh Tasting Menu which was about 7 courses prepared by the chef of local fresh ingrediants. Wow. NM's #1.

Restaurant Skadi, Mammoth, CA
AB and I ate here for our first anniversary. We headed south from Reno to go skiing. We asked the hotel for a recommendation and I still remember the guy at the desk telling me we *had* to try Skadi. And the description "Scandinavian Alpine"... who could resist. I had a seared duck breast with lingonberry sauce and AB had venison with a cranberry sauce. All the meat was taken from a local ranch where the animals were grain fed. Again wow. NM's other #1

Simon and Seaforts, Anchorage, AK
The views are supposidly outstanding, I was there in the winter, which means no light. So I will take AB's word for it. But where else can you get the freshest seafood than in Alaska? The clams were spectacular with a spicy broth. AB's #1.

The Saltry, Halibut Cove, AK
Photos here. Who can argue with a view like this in a region accessible only by boat or float plane? The salmon shark has forever been haunting AB and he is bound and determined to catch his own and cook it three ways as it was served at The Saltry. All the fish was fresh, caught locally and varied with each day. AB's #1... NM says... "oh yeah!"

And the rest:

Galena Forest Inn, Galena, NV
No longer Galena Forest Inn unfortunately, now a lodge. They were known for their wild meats and on the edge of the Toiyabe National Forest. We ate there after my defense as well as a few other special occasions while in Reno.

The Christmas Tree Restaurant, Near Incline Village and Mt. Rose, NV
The Christmas Tree is now called Tannenbaum and appears to be an event center. They had a mesquite grill that they cooked their meats over. It was just a few miles from Mt. Rose ski area and the perfect after ski get together place. Also the perfect place for a rehearsal dinner! That would be ours, AB and I had our rehearsal dinner at The Christmas Tree. The environment was fabulous, from the train circling the dining room, to the eternally decorated Christmas tree in the entry way and the fabulous stone fireplace with the Christmas tree made of rock embedded within.

Kan Zaman, San Francisco, CA
Middle Eastern food on the Haight, what could be better? Oh you wanted a hooka after dinner? You got it. Fantastic gathering place for larger groups. Belly dancers. And did I mention the hookas? Oh and the food... fantastic!

Indian Oven, San Francisco, CA
Indian Oven is on the lower Haight and is inexpensive and flavorful to say the least. Lamb vindaloo is AB's favorite and has since inspired him to take his own hand to recreating his favorite dish from there. You sit shoulder to shoulder with your neighbors and stand outside for a table. But it is well worth it. Oh and the naan was superb.

Tra Vigne, St. Helena, CA
AB has debated this one with me. He feels it deserves an honorable mention. Why does this make the list for me? Standing on the steps outside the restaurant looking at my boyfriend on his knee holding out a ring. That's why this one makes it top 10. The food was fantastic the first time we ate there, or was I just feeling like I was walking on air. Second time around? Not nearly as good. My feeling is that the place had gotten so much hype that it couldn't keep up. I do remember eating tuna carpaccio for dinner, drinking a 1997 Etude Cabernet Sauvignon and enjoying my first ever cheese course for dessert. A place I will never forget.

Himalayas, Boulder, CO
Nestled in a downstairs spot on the famous Pearl Street mall you will find Himalaya's. It is here that you can enjoy listening to a sitar as you enjoy your Tibetan and Nepalese food. My sister picked here to eat after graduation, I swear because she loved the mango lassies. I think it is one of the few things she and I have ever agreed upon!

Honorable Mention:
Bistro Jeanty, Yountville, CA
This is one that deserves a mention, if only so we can say we have eaten there. During the final episode of Top Chef... everyone watched that didn't they? If not, catch the reruns. Anyways, during the final episode of Top Chef I was able to point at Chef Jeanty and say, "I have eaten his food and I sent a steak back to him!" Not something many people can say about a world reknowned chef. I hate sending food back... hate it. But when you order your filet rare and it comes out well done... well you have to. The most annoying part of the night was how our waitor apologized at least 15 times for my overdone steak. Enough about the overdone steak... My seafood bisque was wonderful. AB had a good meal. But what was it? It had a fabulous French chateau feel, the wine was fantastic. I love French food, who doesn't? And while this one should have easily made it into the top 4, it didn't. I would eat there again and give them another shake and expect to be wow'd!

So what are your favorite restaurants? Please share!

No comments: