Tuesday, July 04, 2006

A Civilized Life

We ate out and survived! The key? A MagnaDoodle. We bought a third today. Now we have one in each car and one at home. We went to a local Italian restaurant that is geared more towards being a family restaurant. The waitress earned an extra 5% tip when she brought our salads and brought Leif a “kids salad” consisting of plate of cheese, crackers and olives. She rocked. Oh and booths are a must have. As long as we can corner him in the back part of the booth, we are stellar. And for added peace and quiet a good artistic ability is necessary. The MagnaDoodle? Not for Leif. Nope, it’s for AB and I to draw whatever Leif demands. Which he will then giggle over and occasionally add to. Leif added what looked like wings to my pig this morning, I found it ironic, he just found it funny. And when you are tired of drawing animals and flowers then drawing a balloon, stating “one balloon” and letting Leif swipe it away with the erase lever and then saying “pop!” provides at least 8 minutes of sanity… well for at least one of us. (Thank you Keyboard Elmo.)

We’re back baby! (Ok, so it is not like we’re going to Anthony’s anytime soon…)

We have had a really nice weekend so far. Dinner out Friday night. Saturday we went to the Farmer’s Market and walked out with some wonderful produce and no money. Saturday afternoon we went to the new local grocery store where we tasted and bought some cheese (along with other groceries). Both evenings we went for walks and then let Leif swim in the early evening, while trying to keep him inside during the main heat of the day. (We are out of our abnormally cool weather and now over 100F.) Sunday morning we went to swimming classes. Leif was the only one there, so we pretty much just played in the pool. He was so tired, but cried and cried when we had to get out. He was so bummed. Sunday afternoon AB cooked Greek kafta kebabs. I picked up the house and did some reading. I am currently completely enthralled in Ada Blackjack by Jennifer Niven. Her first book, The Ice Master was one of my favorites ever. Ada Blackjack is equally as good and maybe even better since it is about the triumph of a woman over the elements. I finished The Birth House on Jo’s recommendation and LOVED it. V also read it and loved it and we have decided it WILL be a book club selection as soon as it comes out in the US in September. My book is going on vacation to my mom’s house where I know she will also enjoy it.

Once Leif was up we went to a local garden center which recently relocated and expanded. Really wonderful place. I wanted SO much there, but after AB spent $70 on rock for the concrete project, I restrained myself and purchased a few fabulous looking strawberry plants for $4. Leif was ga ga over the koi pond and feeding the fishies. He was bound and determined to put the food directly into the fish mouths. I worked to discourage this as images of the headlines in the local paper flashed before my eyes, “Toddler looses finger to goldfish at local garden shop”. AB was not quite so diligent and when one of the employees told him that the fish were so friendly that they might actually suck on Leif’s fingers, he started holding Leif over to feed the koi directly. I must note… I was OUTSIDE picking out strawberries. This would not have happened in *my* presence.

Our rock was delivered Monday morning. Hopefully now AB can get the rock down and our kitchen floor will no longer be covered in dirt all the time. In the meantime I have a four foot high mountain of rock in my driveway. We went to Costco for berries since we were starting to run low and I decided that raspberry ice cream is a must have for the 4th of July weekend.

Monday about 11am I made my way into work with the intention of working for 4 hours. I was surprised at the number of people working. It isn’t a paid holiday, but I expected far fewer people here. (Hence why I am in shorts and my flip flops – really I meant to actually change shoes before I left the house… ) I was greeted by two hours worth of training to accomplish. After that I met with my mentor for a question answer series on his newly established Initiative.

Today, the 4th, is my sister’s birthday. It is no coincidence that she was born on the 4th of July, it fits her personality. When we were kids she truly believed that the US was celebrating HER birthday. A common jab towards me was always “well the whole country doesn’t celebrate your birthday”. A slight wrench was thrown into this theory when we had a neighbor boy whose birthday was ALSO the 4th of July. They argued and argued about whose birthday was being celebrated.

Every year on her birthday we would have homemade strawberry ice cream. My parents had one of the old hand crank ice cream makers that you added rock salt and ice to and then churned away. Our ice cream maker didn’t stay together well and so my sister and I used to have to take turns sitting on the top of it while my dad churned on the 4th of July. Now I have the convenience of an electric model. We lived in Wyoming where (30 years ago at least) fireworks of all sorts were legal everywhere. We would gather with the neighbors in the middle of the street and light off fireworks. I remember sitting on the curb thinking how brave our dads were to be out there lighting off the fireworks and then trying my best to cover my ears for the ones that would “bang”.

Life was so much simpler than, or so it seemed. I want Leif to have memories like these. This summer I am really enjoying seeing summer through the eyes of a kid again, homemade popsicles and all! It was the thoughts of fresh strawberry ice cream that prompted the need for berries for raspberry ice cream. (I love strawberries, but any mushing or cooking that makes them “stringy” grosses me out.) We will have an angel food cake as well. No birthday was every complete in my family without angel food cake. I think I inherited my grandmother’s rule of “you always get angel food cake on your birthday” (even if you aren’t nearby). My sister will have an angel food cake at my house in honor of her birthday, even though she is 1600 miles away. Sure, she will have one at her house too… I confirmed a few minutes ago and yes, the angel food cake mix has been purchased for her birthday… but she has one at my house too.

Happy Birthday Ang!

No comments: