Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine's Day

I am relatively indifferent about today being Valentine's Day. Maybe that's what happens after nearly 6 years of marriage and 12 years of being with someone. I think we are at that low point in celebrating Valentine's Day where we have celebrated in the past, been there done that, and before Valentine's Day really picks up for kids to celebrate as Leif is still relatively indifferent to holidays.

Last night AB came home and told me he had to go to the mall. I stated that if he was going to the mall then that probably meant I should too. AB got my drift, I hadn't bought him anything. So after much convincing him that I was not in fact going to be hurt if he didn't buy me anything and that I really would rather just have an evening with he and Leif instead of whatever he might pick out at the mall, no offense of course, he stayed home. I will admit I did start to reconsider this though when he told me he had planned on going to Origins. ;-) Immediately I jumped on the rain check for Origins next time we find ourselves at the mall.

I will say though that Leif was particularly excited to give dada his card this morning though. Once open though, the card reverted back to Leif's property as he wandered around waving the card and woofing (there was a dog on the front).

Leif has a Valentine's Day party at school this afternoon at 3pm. I am fully convinced that his teachers do this as a ploy to get all the kids out of there early so that they can go home and celebrate. We show up at 3pm, all the kids are convinced then that we are actually leaving since that's what happens when mom and dad show up. We will have a snack and make a Valentine (LEAVING the glue sticks - we were instructed that the kids can have all the supplies in their bags except the glue sticks and that the kids will want to take them home). The kids (teachers really) will probably sing a song and that will take us to 4pm where no one will *actually* want to go back to work at that point and so instead we will all haul our little monsters out of there an hour early and covered in glue and glitter.

Sounds fantastic to me!

(Switching topics.) I am stoked by the fact that I just booked a hotel for a couple nights in Seattle for our anniversary. My company rates at the Courtyard downtown were $124 and I compared online and found the same hotel for $109 including breakfast for all three of us in the dining room both days and a free shuttle to the attractions. Both will be very helpful since we are taking Leif. I am a breakfast girl, I need a big breakfast to start my day out and I hate searching for food in the city first thing in the morning with my stomach growling. We normally hoof it all over downtown, but that won't be practical with Leif. And neither is parking in downtown Seattle anywhere near the places we will want to go.

So anyways, mid-March we are headed to Seattle on a Friday and will return Sunday morning. Saturday we will visit the aquarium in the morning. While Leif naps I *may* just be able to sneak out and do a little shopping. I was lamenting the fact that I wouldn't be able to hit IKEA and AB commented that of all the shopping I would like to do that is probably the one he is most likely to be OK with because there is a restaurant and we can take a break and he might even be old enough to play in the ball zone! So yippee! Sunday morning on the way out we will stop at IKEA!

Now I just need to figure out how we will do dinners Friday and Saturday... I am hoping the concierge will have suggestions for kid friendly and foodie parent friendly places. Or we will just eat at the Market I suppose.I can deal with that.

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments: