Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Neuroses

So Saturday after shopping around and researching on the computer we made a decision regarding the computer. We bought a Dell from Costco. The thing should fly at the speed of light and at least do the dishes as well.

I pushed and pushed and AB caved. It is now on its way to our house.

Saturday night I lay in bed listening to Leif wimper in his sleep over the monitor. (Or what I was hoping was in his sleep.) That's when the neuroses set in. OMG, we just spent over $2K including tax on a computer. What have we done? Do we really need this? Why was I being so pushy and insistent? We could have gotten by without a new computer a little longer... maybe.

Sunday morning I admitted (I think to my mom on the phone while AB was within earshot) that I was having second thoughts. Was it buyer's regret? Ugh, maybe I should just call and cancel it. Afterall I need to quit being so impulsive with our money. Mom reassured me that we did need a new computer, we needed a new computer last time she was out when Leif was born really, and that we will love it.

I got off the phone and AB found my "buyer's regret" a little funny. He had been the tough sell all along and the voice of reason. Now he was absolutely THRILLED that we have a new computer on the way. No buyer's regret on his part. At about the same time Saturday night he admitted to laying in bed feeling a little silly for how resistant he was, afterall we haven't even had a sound card for over a year and too many other hardware "incompatibilities" to deal with. His only regret was that it was going to take a week or so to get here. Furthermore, we didn't buy anything for each other on Valentine's Day and our anniversary is next month, we didn't have plans for gifts. Now we are done! Two holidays in one purchase taken care of!

Phew. I feel better. Now I will start being more frugal from here on out. I promise.

No comments: