Monday, February 27, 2006

Access revoked

Music to my ears! (Or eyes as the case may be.) I got an e-mail today telling me that my access to my former post-doc advisors labs has been revoked starting today. Frankly it took him longer than I expected to lock me out. Then again, he now manages a team (poorly according to his members) and still has his project which he was always stretched thin on. Regardless, I am officially done and can't even get in the door if I needed. Darn.

One of my coworkers is dying to go to a conference in Ann Arbor, where she went to grad school. But she didn't have anything she could present on. I offered one of my projects up to her that she has worked on and she accepted graciously. What is nice for me is that I am the PI on this aspect of the project and it is getting really nice results. Coincidentally this conference she will present at also publishes in a large, well known journal. So along with this presentation where I am the first author (but not the presenting author) comes a peer reviewed journal article where I will also be first author! I need as many of those as I can get.

In fact, I have another for this same conference where a similar thing happened on a different project. My co-PI wanted to go, knew I didn't care to travel and submitted it. He offered me first author since the paper is already actually written, we were just in the final stages to submit to a journal when this conference call came out and decided to go this route.

Now this is where issues could be raised with management... this is where I might be happy that I am no longer in my former group (where the 2 co-PIs are). When management takes a look at the conference requests he is going to see that I am the lead PI on two presentations and I "suppose" he could make a deal out of why send two of his people when I can go and present both. If it comes down the pipe then I will go to Ann Arbor and present them both. But I really think that he will gloss over this and be happier to send HIS staff for their staff development than me, since I am not in his group anymore and nuclear engineering just really is not my forte. I won't get as much out of the conference as they will.

No comments: