Thursday, October 20, 2005

Pure torture for those afraid of heights

Tomorrow I will be flying through air with the greatest of ease (not) and leaping tall buildings (yeah right). Really I am just participating in a Ropes course with a number of other similar level scientists in my lab. I am not enthused. I have had two people, who I like and trust, tell me it is a lot of fun. Today one of them assured me that he panics greatly with heights, but LOVES participating in ropes courses. Aw well, we shall see.

Honestly, I have a lot to do and would to some degree, rather be here working. (Me=Geek)

I searched and searched today for long (longer than 7") forceps, tweezers or fine touch tongs with teflon coated tips. Anybody looking for an idea for going into business? Make these. No one makes them. Ok, I did find one place, but at $50-$60 a pop and a minimum purchase of 3.

I had a patent filed yesterday. I was a co-PI listed on it. Thrilled? Not really. I could kind of care less actually. It is on my project, oh excuse me, FORMER project that I didn't care for. I didn't even read the 55 pages of legal speak, that's how interested I was. This may sound silly, but all it was for any of us was a fact sheet builder. Something to put on a bid for promotion or big raise next year. It is not, despite all the wishings of the other PI's, going to get licensed or even recognized. The legal group here was strong armed into filing patent application (thanks to the big mouth of the PI) after they initially rejected the submission of intellectual property. In other words, they didn't care or see the point either.

I have a proposal draft due next week for my good project. I am responsible for composing a quarter of the $1.2 million proposal for next year. Yay!

I am feeling sad though today despite the two above reasonably good things. We have had a number of people tell us they would consider visiting for Thanksgiving and now all have bailed. I don't know why this hurts my feelings so much, especially considering it happens almost every year. But it does. It hurts my feelings when it is my family that bails. It hurts Hans' feelings when it is his family, which then makes me sad that he is sad. And all the while I think to myself why does no one want to come to our house and see our family, or at least Leif? Is there something wrong with us? Is my house not clean enough? Do I not host well? Do they not like my food? Do they just not understand the $$ and difficulties involved in traveling with a toddler to them? It just makes me really, really sad as I see how fast Leif is growing up and how little effort anyone makes to come see him and what a wonderful little boy he is. (tears) Ok, I am not going down this road yet again with whining about this.

The time has come. I must go pick up Leif, then Hans and then lastly my 4Runner at the dealership where it has been in for the 2nd time in 1 week for warranty work. Hans is thrilled because it means he "has" to leave work on time tonight.

No comments: