Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Entertainment

It is nice that the grounds people here at work provide so much entertainment for us meager scientists squirrelled away in our offices. It is October, yes October, when it starts to freeze. Yet a grounds person was out pulling weeds (good thing) and planting, yes PLANTING the two concrete pots in front of our building!

To their benefit I suppose, they were planting ornamental cabbage which is cold hardy. There was some forethought to this. I walked in with one of our admin the other day and we both got inside the door and pondered why exactly money was being spent to plant things in October, likely weeks, maybe even days before it will freeze. I have been contemplating removing my green tomatoes in preparation for an impending freeze.

The next day I got to work and was happy to see that the company evidently saw another purpose in planting that I, in my naive view, did not see . No, I forgot about the poor little bunny rabbits that reside in the bushes that we are "encouraged" NOT to feed lest the multiply, well, like rabbits. (The summer students repeatedly ignore this request and find great entertainment in feeding the rabbits whatever out of their lunch that they can live without. And let me tell you, those girls apparently don't need *anything* to live on... at least when sitting with the guys.)

The two big concrete pots, a mere 16 hours after planting housed 6 stumps each where the ornamental cabbage USED to live. The rabbits will now live for the entire winter and can hibernate happily.

No comments: