Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Leif update

I finally got Leif in to see his doctor. I called yesterday morning, bright and early at 8am. His cough is back and he sounds awful. We started nebulizer treatments. At 11am, the secretary calls me back to get more info. (Rolling my eyes.)

Why can't I just schedule an appointment, preferably the next available one? Sheesh. But no, everyone is prescreened for an appointment to determine priority. Wow, glad to hear my doctor and her nurse have the rare ability to diagnose over the phone. Why do they even bother to have an office?

So after the secretary calls, I wait. At almost 4pm, the nurse calls. Glad it wasn't much of an emergency, huh? She wants to know all the details I just (ok, hours ago) gave the secretary. I end by telling her that this is the second time in a month that he has had an "asthma" episode and that I REALLY want him to be seen this time, JUST to have her listen to him since she couldn't last time.

Ok, we are in. Appointment tomorrow at 10:30am. I have two, yes two, conflicting appointments. One meeting from 9-11am and one meeting from 10-11am. Since I have perfected cloning that means that one project always gets the shaft on Wednesday mornings. Guess what one that is? Hmmm?

Ok, I take the appointment and fast forward to "tomorrow". Tomorrow is now today. We get there at precisely 10:25am, 5 minutes early. Leif hasn't had a nap and only had 2.5 oz of EBM at daycare. I *knew* he was going to be hungry. And yes, he is sick and coughing. Sounds like a beast, but despite that makes an effort to smile and play peek a boo with EVERYONE in the waiting room. The one sourpuss old lady sitting next to us just glared at me... I mean how dare I sit down next to her with a sick baby??!!

So we sit and sit and sit. Yes, I know I was fit in, but 45 minutes wait with a 7.5 month old. Not fun for me, him or the rest of the patients.

Finally we are taken back. Leif is 20lbs 12oz with most of his clothes still on. So he hasn't gained much if at all in 6 weeks since his 6 month appointment. What's up with that? She listens to his lungs, yes they sound like crap. Ears, however, look good. Yay! So back on the albuterol, but this time add in prednisone, oh wait, prednisolone... the same medication Calley took. We got back Monday for another listen and most likely a prescription for Pulmicort, a longer acting, maintenance medication.

My poor guy!

No comments: