Monday, March 07, 2005

Is "mama" really the first word?

Leif went to bed about 6:30pm last night. He had quite the busy day. We went on a walk with friends and went to ice cream, thereby missing completely his afternoon naptime. Bad idea.

At about 1am Leif was up, and therefore, the rest of the house should be too. No screaming, just soft babbling and singing. I was laying there listening to him softly and then woah! What was that, my nose was just grabbed, then ouch, my eyebrow and oh I do have lips too! Leif was there on all fours, rocking back and forth saying "mama! mama! mama!" Hans conceded immediatly that it was a "specific mama" as opposed to "nonspecific" where he calls whoever "mama". This also meant that Leif wanted ME and not Hans... how convenient! Of course this morning Hans said that Leif has to repeat performance saying mama in order for it to be his first word. I am crying foul.

I fear my days of listening to my little baby coo and breathe next to me are numbered. Had he been able to he would have just crawled in the bed with us and performed "fishhooks" with our lips and lifted our sleepy eyelids.

No comments: