Monday, January 03, 2005

Starting on a high note

It is now 2005 and 5 days until I turn 33. Lots of good things happened last year, the first of which is the birth of Leif John. He is the coolest thing.

Leif is now 5 months old, about 18.5 lbs, 27 inches long and a bundle of energy. He is rolling from the back to front in a seconds notice. He has been known to roll from the front to back but would rather whine for mommy or daddy to come help him rather than expend the energy that should be stored up for propelling himself forward. Yes, you heard right. Yesterday Leif figured out that forward movement can be accomplished by pulling his knees under him and pushing off. Note to self, keep all toys out of his forward field of vision. If this fails, Velcro him to the carpet.

Leif is just about the most smiling, happy baby ever. If he is fussing you know something is seriously wrong. Seeing those smiles and his eyes sparkle is the highlight of my day.

Work, well it's good. I have a lot to be thankful here. I have a job with benefits, I make good money, I am working in a field I never thought I would be. But somehow I still feel compelled to complain and whine. I have done a lot of that lately and I need to work hard on getting past it all.
Life is good. I am going to start out the year being positive about the things going on here at work and try not to dwell upon the negatives.

The holidays:
We survived another Christmas away from home. As much as we love our family, it is just hard to always travel over the holidays. Even though family helps out with our plane tickets usually there are a lot of other expenses... a dog sitter for Winny for example, or the cost to ship 3 boxes of Christmas gifts. In the coming years Leif will be becoming more cognizent of the holidays and Santa will be visiting OUR house. Which consequently means that we will not be travelling for the holidays.

We got so many wonderful gifts. I got ruby and diamond earrings from Hans. (Ruby is Leif's birthstone.) I also got two stemless Reidel glasses, a butter keeper, a few cd's, some books, a Kangaroo Pouch for carrying Leif. Hans got some clothes, the Spiderman 2 DVD, and a golf club. We bought a Kodak digital camera with Christmas money. And to ourselves for Christmas and birthdays we bought speakers for our surround sound system.

Leif got lots of cool gifts also, blocks, a plastic ring stacker, the cutest ever swimsuit, a robe and a variety of noise making, movement making toys which I take as payback for supplying related kids with such gifts when I had none.

Thanks to all for everything. We love you and enjoyed seeing you at Christmas. Happy New Year.

No comments: