Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Back in the groove

Well today I took the dive back into work. It took a lot of mental work to make that dive into the past few months and figure out where I left off on projects.

I had a great meeting today. One I like... meeting at Starbucks with a couple of women I know. That's my kind of meeting. We planned for a proposal we are writing together.

Speaking of this I have to select a mentor for a development program I am participating in and I think I have selected my mentor. It will NOT be my original post-doctoral mentor, not surprising. Nor will it be my close friend here at work who has provided a lot of good advice. I think he will be disappointed. But I need someone who I can relate. I have chosen Mary, she has a son and has been through successfully the rigamaroll of what it is to be a woman from a different background in a nuclear field. Fighting with the men, securing your own space, and raising a family. I think this is a good choice for me.

I jumped back into my main project with both feet today. Since before maternity leave I have spent the majority of my time on another project, by choice. So this is the project where I started my post-doc. I am getting more and more the impression that as soon as I can make the leap from here would be good. I am just not into the boys club. I have tried and tried to fit in, but it just isn't working. And yet they wonder why they can't maintain new people and why people are consistently swayed away.

Well time for me to start wrapping things up for the day. I have no idea what I am cooking for dinner. Any ideas for me? I can't wait to go pick up Leif. If only he wouldn't scream the whole way home. It just breaks my heart.


No comments: