Thursday, January 27, 2005

No more nuclear life?

So maybe I won't glow green anymore? No kids with 12 toes?

I got the dreaded "boss walks into your office and closes the door" thing today. Talk about freaky, especially when I only see him when something is coming down. And well, something is coming down.

My group is a bunch (90) of nuclear physicists and radiochemists. Saying I don't fit in so well is an understatement. I am either scrambling to learn nuclear physics or continuing to find work outside my group. I have been far more successful at the later.

Anyways, my group has gotten so large, as have a couple others that they are reorganizing us. The vast majority of my group stays as is. All the nuclear physicist and radiation detection folks will stay in the group. The radiochemists will head off to join another analytical chemistry group. All of that moving leaves about 5 of us, me included tossed up as to where we belong. I am NOT, repeat *NOT* a wet chemist. My nuclear physics and rad detection is learned on the fly. News that I don't fit in is not surprising a bit.

One of the other TGMs has said fantastic stuff about my thin films work. I am really enjoying working with my current manager/team lead on this work. So word on the streets is that I probably belong working in this field. So I will be following my current manager and three other guys of different backgrounds out of my group and into the chemical and biological sciences group. A new boss, different projects, wow!

So maybe I can jump ship on some of the projects that seem to be getting me nowhere in my career and find more projects that are more in line with my current expertise.

My big manager kept it all in a positive light. I will be keeping my office, at least for the time being. Unless my new manager chooses to move me somewhere else.

Wow, I am just shocked. They like to reorganize things and then spring new things on us. I just wasn't expecting this at all. Bye bye nuclear world, in the literal sense!


No comments: