Monday, June 21, 2010

Aunt Annie's Alligator

I have lucked out - both my kids went through a "Dr Seuss's ABC's" phase. This was one of my favorite books as a child. I can recite it by heart.

But what I really love about this book is hearing Skadi's running commentary on every page.

Me: "Barber, Baby, Bubbles and a Bumble Bee"

Skadi: "Yeah, but bees sting."

Me: "Camel on the ceiling"

Skadi: "I want a camel on MY ceiling!"

Me: "Goat, girl, goo goo goggles"

Skadi: "I am a girl!"

Me: "Jerry Jordan's jelly jar - "

Skadi: "He made a big mess, look it's on the floor!"

Me: "Many mumbling mice - "

Skadi: "I don't like mice, turn the page." (This used to be one of my favorite pages!)

Me: "Nine new neckties, a nightshirt and a nose!"

Skadi: "I have a big nose!" (At this point I argue with her about the size of her nose. It is small.)

Me: "Painting pink pajamas, policeman in a pail, Peter Pepper's puppy, now papa's in the pail"

Skadi: "That's so silly, why are they in pails?!"

Me: "Rosy's going riding -"

Skadi: "NO! Say Skadi's going riding!"

Same thing with Young Yolanda... but by then I have remembered...

Me: "A yawning yellow yak, young Skadi is riding on his back!"

Skadi: (giggles)

Me: "A Zizzer Zazzer Zuzz as you can plainly see."

(This is where there are problems...)

Skadi: "What is a Zizzer? Does he bite? Why does she have long hair? Is she going to eat those childrens next to her? Why is she bigger? Does he bite? Why does he have teeth?"

It's a miracle I made it out of there!

2 comments:

Jay said...

Big B little b what begins with B? Bronwyn, baby, bubbles, and a bumble bee!

( I looked after Bronwyn on Tuesday afternoons when Grae was very young we would sit on the floor and read this book. He would crawl into my lap and listen. Long after Ms B was gone - it was a temporary arrangement to help her mom out he insisted it was part of the rhyme.)

Big G little g what begins with g, Gertrude, Graeme, giggle-googles all begin with G!

Such a wonderful silly book! Thanks for the reminder.

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, Been thinking of you alot lately and hope you are doing o.k. Loved hearing all of your girls comments-can't wait to meet her. Aren't our kids the best-they help us continue on smiling.
Have a good week dear one.
Hugs, Noreen