Sunday, February 01, 2009

Where Darth Vadar lives...

There is this certain denomination that is pretty prevalant in my town. Other places I have lived you could allude to the denomination without risk of offering offense. Not here. I have absolutely no problem with the religion. I am not in the group that would declare "cult" or not be friends with someone from this religion. I am a somewhat religious person myself and I believe strongly in freedom of religion. I just don't happen to be on the side that shares their beliefs, not a big deal.

This particular religion built a large temple strategically located with the intention that it could be seen from any point within our area. I worked with a guy a few years ago who prided himself on the fact that their temple coule not be seen from his home. As I have said before, no problem here with the temple really and no problem that our new house is two blocks from it. You probably couldn't ask for better neighbors than a church.

See the problem comes though in that a few weeks ago I happened to mention in passing in the car, what one of Leif's best friends declared about that building:

"Darth Vadar lives there."

This one little statement has taken on a life of its own.

And it is only going to be worse now that we live right behind the temple.

This may be the reason that Leif's bedroom faces the opposite direction into the hills and NOT down the street towards the temple.

Now whenever we drive by there, we hear statements like, "did you see Darth Vadar yet?" or "Daddy and I are going to take our light savers and go find Darth Vadar" or "Darth Vadar lives there and he isn't going to scare me!"

(And AB rolls his eyes at me.)

I suppose someone will tell me this is how religious intolerance happens.

Really, I didn't mean to start this. And I am trying to nip it in the bud.

But it is sort of funny.

No comments: