Thursday, January 15, 2009

Best friends 4-year-old style

I asked Leif in the car on the way home who his best friends are.

"N and C," he replies without missing a step.

I knew this. But I have been probing trying to figure out the friendship dynamics going on when he had a bad day the other day and was in tears regarding friends. Seems that he told on his closest friend, B, in class the other day. B got in trouble and told Leif he was not his friend anymore and was never going to play with him ever again. This broke Leif's heart.

Leif is a stickler for rules and making sure everyone follows them. He doesn't understand that this type of thing also won't make him the most popular kid in the class... We have been working on explaining this to him and asking him to be patient with B and give him space and he will probably come around.

Maybe someday.

But not today.

"So who is your best friend in your class?" I asked him.

"Well Zoe is," he says.

I was surprised. "Zoe, really?" I asked.

"Yes, she told me that if I let her cut in line she would be my best friend," he announced.

Immediately I was ticked off at that little chicky. Who does she think she is? And is my boy really going to follow for such female trickery?

I probed Leif for a minute about this. "You didn't let her, did you?" I asked. Leif wouldn't fall for that trick.

"Yes, I let her cut," he said.

"And are you her best friend now? Is she treating you nicely and playing with you on the playground???" I am insisting.

"Well but I am only kinda her best friend now she told me," he says.

I am huffing to myself. That little...

Then Leif goes on, "but that's ok because she is only kinda my best friend too," he assures me.

No comments: