Monday, February 18, 2008

Dang It

Neither AB or I have much trouble with major cursing. We don't curse regularly and never have really had to worry about it in front of Leif. We have tried to watch the "light cursing". I don't know what it is called really... things like saying "stupid driver" and "pull your head out" while driving (my worst offenses). Those phrases that don't involve cursing, but still aren't so nice. Where you substitute in lesser words for the higher end offenders. One readily used among AB and I is "dang it".

We have told Leif it isn't a nice thing to say.

We were in the car going to swimming the other day when I realized I had left our two returns and rebate check for Costco sitting on the counter.

"Dang it!" I said, "I forgot the returns and the rebate!"

"Mommy, that isn't a nice thing to say, don't say dang it," Leif replies in the back seat.

AB sat smirking in the front seat.

"I am sorry Leif," I said, "I didn't mean to say something bad."

"Only daddies can say dang it, ok?" Leif then divulged.

----------------------

I was also told that at the park today Leif told another little girl, "only my daddy can say dang it and only while he is shopping".

Oh how well my son already knows his daddy. If daddy had to do much shopping, "dang it" would be thrown around with wild abandon.

----------------------

Skadi cruises around the floor at great speed. She routinely is picking up something that Leif doesn't want her to. Almost nearly as often as she finds things *I* don't want her too... enter the coffee bean she crunched into this evening while we picked up the kitchen.

She found Leif's Valentine's Day card on the floor the other day and picked it up.

"NO!" Leif squealed, "she cannot have my Valentine's Day card."

"Well don't leave it on the floor then Leif," I tell him.

"Skadi I will show you my card," he says getting down onto the floor.

He opens it up.

"See Skadi it says, Leifers birthday is in a few days!" he said much to our surprise.

"Leif, when is your birthday?" I asked him.

"Tuesday," he tells us.

You can complete this discussion in your head by inserting discussions of July 29th being 5 months away still with a preschooler set on being contrary.

No comments: