Friday, July 01, 2005

Friday!

Yay, Friday!

I am in need of some serious pampering. Last time I got a haircut I picked up the brochure at my salon, just to remind me of the services they offer. The spa pedicure is to die for. One hour and 15 minutes in a big comfy chair while they massage my calves, ankles, feet, toes. The actual painting of the toenails is just a minor point of this process. And when I was "reminded" of the fact that the spa pedicure is *only* $41. Well twist my arm. I have an appointment next Saturday at 12:45pm.

All of this is under the guise that Hans and Leif should have some one on one time together without me before I haul Leif to Colorado with me for the week. Which I AM feeling somewhat guilty about.

Tomorrow we head to the coast to stay at Hans' family's cabin and see extended family. It is a great place, right on Puget Sound. Hans' great grandfather in the early part of the century made a wager and won it. What he won was this plot of land on the coast. He divided the plot into 5th, giving 1/5 to each of his children (4 daughters and one son) and when they married, they each built a cabin. So there are 5, relatively closely situated cabins on this plot of land to create the "Hegembo Compound". Hegem being their last name, "bo" meaning "village of" in Norwegian.

The family is of strong Norwegian boat builders who moved to Seattle from Norway. The Norwegian traditions are evident in daily activity at the compound and the flying of the Norwegian flag, and the design and decor of the cabins.

The cabin for our family is shared by my FIL, his brother and his sister. And the children of each of them. So there are a lot of people that share in our little one bedroom, one bath, small kitchen, dining room and living room with a sleeping loft. Hans has fond memories as a child hanging out here and getting into trouble with his cousins. Tipping boats in the sound, retrieving rock crabs and being pinched, and playing in the water. I hope that Leif will have similar memories of the coast (NOT the tipping boats and getting pinched by crabs part).

I have painted, I hope, a beautiful image of a Norwegian family getaway locale. I really do love it there. Of course, there has to be the flip side to things...

Every family has struggles with each other. Every family has a black sheep. Every family argues and pitches fits with each other. So this beautiful picture above quickly becomes clouded. Essentially, Hans' uncle spends most of his weekends at the cabin and thinks everyone should be allowed to go together, no one should want a weekend by themselves and life should be one big party. He thinks that everything should be split, but that since he is there more often doing upkeep, he should have to pay less for utilities, insurance, etc. (He does upkeep?)

OTOH Hans' aunt wants to have the cabin for just her family sometimes and doesn't want other people there, she feels if she is paying 1/3 of the bills, she deserves that (agreed). Similarly if my FIL is paying 1/3 of the bills, we should get to benefit that as well as he has indicated we should do. Meaning, weird uncle and weirder wife needs to stay away. Then there is the issue of holidays since it is a big family reunion for every summer holiday. Aunt has agreed that on holidays only, the cabin should be open to whoever in the family wants to go, reluctantly. She just stays away, well because Hans' uncle is annoying.

And annoying he is. He hadn't thought they would actually come to the cabin for the 4th. I was shocked and a little overjoyed at the prospect of having the whole cabin to ourselves. I should have known better. I got giddy too fast there. He and his wife are now attending. Not really a big deal, we get the bedroom for Leif and us. Since I *am not* putting Leif in the loft. But what gets me is that his wife's "cycling buddies" might come down. Ugh.

Now I think that if extended family is going to be there, that friends and others we don't know should not. I am not exactly comfortable staying with people I don't know. Let alone now I have a little being to protect. And not to mention the fact that I don't want everyone and their dog eating all the food (and wine) that Hans and I and our dog brought.

We haven't even gotten there and this trip is already getting a dark cloud over it.

Anyways. I must get to work and get things cleared up so I can go get Mr. Fuss Pot at daycare!

Everyone have a safe and happy 4th of July or Canada Day, or both!

No comments: