Thursday, July 07, 2005

Geneaology

I have always had a mild interest in geneaology, but no idea how to take it up really. I should have an idea, I use the internet all the time. I keep thinking that maybe other family members will do it for me. ;-)

Anyways, on my husband's side of the family, this isn't just a dream. Signe, is WAY into geneaology and each time we see her at the coast, we like to sit and see the latest that she has dug up.

Signe's grandfather, which is Hans' great grandfather, and Leif's great, great grandfather was one of the "founding fathers" of Ballard. Ballard is the Norwegian settlement section of Seattle. Ingvar Heggem was a ship builder there and made a name for himself. The Smithsonian Institute has copies of the blueprints of many of the ships he built.

Another cool little thing... Signe was recently contacted by a novelist from Norway who has set out to write about "the great bear hunter of Norway". He is searching for descendents of "the great bear hunter", who just happens to be my son's great great great grandfather. He has asked the entire family to provide our full names, birthplace and birthdate to add to the book about the "great bear hunter". He does sound like a great bear hunter... he shot over 70 bears in his lifetime. I will need this book when published.

Ok, my little neat things for the day!

No comments: