Thursday, July 21, 2005

Back in the groove

My horoscope today: "Your energy's like a charged battery. And you're cute! You're like a cute battery!"

Give me a break. I would have liked it had it said, "you are a cute battery in skinny size 10 pants you haven't worn in 4 years". Loved that. (Ok, done bragging!)

I just finished my draft of my presentation for next Tuesday. I was invited to dinner with the clients on Monday night. Stoked! Hans gets Leif on Monday night, it will be a test to see how he deals with after dinner routine without mama there since I likely will be gone until after bedtime.

Today I need to do lots of catch-up. Working on getting "decision points" inserted into my big proposal and getting that sent back out. Still looking good for funding. I have a meeting to work on my stupid task on the project I hate at 11am. Yippee. I need to work on my patent changes... I think the patent lawyer thought I was putting it off because I didn't have a charge code or something. After waiting for a few days for the changes, he sent me a charge code. Nope, thanks, I have a charge code, what I don't have is the time. And on top of that I need to run an experiment for my shiny, happy project in hopes of getting some results by Tuesday on it. Ha ha ha!! (Project manager is funny.)

We had a meeting yesterday for the review. Tensions are high. Nerves are on edge. It ended up being a slugfest. Word on our side is that they believe that future funding hinges on the success of my task. (Thankfully we just achieved our first full scale success yesterday.) But there are some people on the project who are charging near 100% of their time and REALLY don't want to see this project go the way of the birds. I spend about 30% of my time and I don't want to see it flitter away either. But that also means that my presentation has become a huge focus and that I have far more than desired inputs and suggestions on how and what to present. Finally Dan jumped in with a statement that ended a few people jumping on me and criticizing how I present the data with "for the last 30 minutes we have listened to your pessimistic shit, get over it". Thank you Dan. Favorite project manager, the funny one, then called me later yesterday morning to apologize for all the crap being dumped on me. It really wasn't a big deal.

Home life is superb. I was glad to hear my dad survived Hurricane Emily. I really was expecting to see him on national TV saying "hurricane force winds? Naw, now hang out in the winds of central Wyoming! There's some force!" (he he!)

Leif is getting back to walking, which I attribute to daycare and his return to hanging out with Cate (the pro walker). He has to keep up with her! We are working on getting Leif into the local Montessori school. Actually he is near the top of the wait list, but we really want he and Cate to transition together. I really hate calling and bugging people, but word is that is the way to get in. Now me otoh, if people just simply call and bug me, they are more likely to get ignored.

Ok, I must get to the mount of things on my desk and work at getting a few things crossed off my "to do" white board.


No comments: