Monday, July 25, 2005

Toilet locks... big waste of $$

Note title. Little fingers are extremely capable (moreso than big fingers) at prying off suction cups, rendering "toilet lock" completely and utterly useless.

It was a horribly busy weekend. Hans was working hard at finishing his bench/coat rack/storage box thing finished. I am anxious for a finished work of art for my library. And mostly so that when I find a stray glove, like I did yesterday in my closet, I have a place to put it while it awaits the arrival of its mate.

I tried to work on preparing for the BBQ/1st birthday party next week. Saturday morning started with an early morning trip to the Farmer's Market. As Hans pointed out once there that the purpose was *REALLY* to fulfill my fresh mini donut craving as we left with only a few bags of produce. Part of the problem is that we are kind of in between seasons. Cherries are long gone, but berries, peaches, nectarines, plums, zucchini and corn are present. This doesn't sound "in between" necessarily, except that we have in our yard berries, nectarines, plums and zucchini. No peaches because Hans is a weirdo about fuzz. So we bought corn. And I have to say that we bought the most fabulous corn that I have had since leaving Colorado - the home of good corn. Leif even ate some.

Speaking of Leif eating, wow! The boy has figured it out. This was all prompted mostly probably by my realizing that maybe part of the reason he was up every few hours at night is that he is hungry... hmmm... Sunday I was bound and determined to fill him up. We started with pancakes and blueberries (where he *gasp* ate the blueberries!). Lunch was after swimming lessons and consisted of quesadilla at the Mexican restaurant while we drank margaritas. Snack at 4pm of pear chunks, blueberries and cheerios. He ate them all. I was so proud. Dinner was kebabs, and he ate two chunks of beef, pineapple, more pears, and 3 helpings of rice pilaf (of which 1.5 helpings ended up in lap). Yes, it is hard to eat rice with fingers.

Saturday was a trip to Costco where we bought ribs and wine and assorted other necessities. One of the necessities was a new pair of prescription sunglasses for me. But alas, there was none that I deemed acceptable within my price limit. (Actual sunglasses, a total of 6 pairs present, the others were "buy glasses that you like and we will put colored lenses in.) Well it just isn't the same thing. I will head to the cheapo mall glasses place for hopefully a better selection.

On Sunday we went to swimming lessons after much coaxing to convince Leif to sleep. Did not work. So at 11:25 we loaded him into the car for his 12:20pm lesson and decided we would drive to look at lots to purchase. He was out in 30 seconds. Looked at lots and debated the merits of corner, versus upper view, versus lower view. It is still a pipe dream. But turning into a goal. Get completely out of debt, ok except for house, student loan and car, in 3 months. Then save for a month and buy a view lot in the area. The next goal will be to either turn it for a profit in 2 years when we decide to split from this joint. OR in 2 years build a house on the lot.

Swim lessons were good. Hans has high hopes of Leif doing the butterfly at age 5. Margaritas afterwards were even better.

Attempt #2 at nap failed, miserably, and ended with a short lived, argument about who does more around the house and in prep for the party. We don't typically fight, but we were tired and I was overwhelmed and frustrated.

Finally we pack Leif up for a trip to Target for birthday goodies. 30 seconds into the trip, you guessed it, Leif was o-u-t. Get to Target and he is not only out, but dead to the world. Hans carries him in his arms throughout the noisy Target, never even opened an eye once. Bought him a water and sand table. I had wanted this... but even though I am a die-hard Amazon addict, I could not pay almost the equivelent price for shipping. So hoped to find it locally. We ended up with this... here is an alternate view... I wasn't thrilled about the sand aspect, but who says sand must be included? But at $19 on clearance at Target, I couldn't pass it up. Got goody bag stuff, decorations, etc. Why is it that at a big store like Target the only hats and party stuff appropriate for little boys is either Elmo or Barney? Girls however, had a wide assortment. I just wanted party hats and a banner and a few kid themed plates and napkins. Oh well, Elmo it is.

So Target is marked off the list, hit Home Depot super quick while Hans runs in for more bark mulch. Yes, I have a huge amount of math in my background, yet for some stupid ass reason I thought two bags of 2 cu ft bark mulch would cover the second front garden. Hans returns with four more bags, and it probably still isn't enough... Then we head to the grocery store. Leif lounges in the cart child carrier area, seriously lounges, feet up and back propped against his blanket as he smiles at everyone we pass. (Yes he was buckled in.) We spend a small fortune on food and succumb to the 10% off 6 bottles of wine offer even though our wine rack is full. Because no child's first birthday would be complete without a zinfandel tasting to go along with the ribs. ;-)

Home finally and massive unloading and dinner starting. And wa la... our weekend is toast. Six Feet Under was great as usual and left me mouth agap at the end. And no previews to even clue me into the next episode. Bastards!

This week is going to kill me. Busy, busy, busy. Speaking of this I should get on the paper I need to read for my 1pm meeting.

No comments: