Friday, January 15, 2010

More about Me

I feel like so far this year (2010) I have talked a lot about me. My goals, my past year, my plans for the coming year, etc. Well might as well keep up the trend in an attempt to even out how often I talk about the kids.

Last weekend I realized how little Wii *I* have been able to do. I looked at WiiFit and it told me it had been 29 days since I had last logged in. It is just an issue with time.

I remember a few years ago while on maternity leave a woman lamenting on Oprah that she didn't have time to work out. Oprah brushed her off and said, "you just don't want to, if you wanted to, you would make time" and then she brushed her away as though she didn't matter.

I was so offended by her attitude towards this woman. Here was Oprah, a woman who had never had children, with enough money for personal trainers and private gyms and chefs placing judgement on a harried mom who said, "I am up multiple times a night with my baby, I work, my husband works, I have an older child who needs to do homework, I am exhausted."

As someone who well understands the physiology of exercise and how it DOES make you feel better, I understand the need to exercise and how it will lift you out of a funk. But there has to be time. There are times in us normal people's lives where we ask where is the extra time? It doesn't exist. Carving out time for you? Just not going to happen. Weekends? That's the time I get to spend with my family, it's precious.

Within the last few weeks, Skadi has started sleeping better. I hate to jinx this but in 6 nights, she has slept solidly through 4 of them. And each of those 6 nights she has slept in until 7am. This is huge. We might be on to something here...

Last Saturday in honor of this new string of successes, it dawned on me that I could get up 40 minutes earlier than normal and jump on the Wii Fit.

I dragged myself out of bed at 6am Monday morning and actually had a lot of fun!

Tuesday morning was more dragging, but knowing something fun was out there.

By Wednesday and Thursday I was jumping out of bed. And this morning AB didn't have to work, so his alarm didn't go off. And the notion of staying snuggled in bed did cross my mind.

Then I got up and did my Yoga and biked 3.5 miles and waved at all my Wii family and friends with Lucky running by my side.

I am hooked.

No comments: