Friday, November 30, 2007

Not overly surprising

I have always thought my son was funny. Says the funniest things, does funny things and likes to make us laugh. His teachers have always told us he is such a funny little guy. But to a certain degree I always wondered if it wasn't normal.

We haven't seen that side of Skadi's personality develop yet, but she is only 8 months old. (And officially crawling, have I mentioned that yet?) She can be a smiley baby, but compared to Leif, she is probably more on the side of normal. I fear her claim to fame is going to be her temper... her teacher has declared that the reason she has hair at this young is her way of indicating to others around her that she has that stereotypical "red-headed temper". This is the same teacher that called Leif her "willful charmer". She has an uncanny ability to peg baby's personalities.

Yesterday one of my friends told me that her son came home and said, "I want to be like Leif". She said he was pretty down and depressed sounding and went on to say he didn't want to be himself anymore.

"Why do you want to be like Leif?" she asked him resisting the urge, she told me, to ask him if he wanted to go live at Leif's house then since he had been such a turkey lately.

"Because he is always so funny and always makes other people laugh. I want to make other people laugh," he told her.

I felt his pangs, his agony. And it isn't that he isn't a funny kid. All three year olds are funny to a certain degree, aren't they?

I was one of those kids. The ones that were never very funny, took awhile to pick up on jokes, couldn't tell a joke to save my life (AB thinks that is just hilarious - my inability to tell a joke). The kid that saw those spirited funny kids that walked into a room and lit it up just by their presence. I wanted to be one of them.

I would say I didn't know where Leif gets this... but if you know my family, it is quite obvious where he gets this personality trait.

My mother in law.

No comments: