Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Quick update

4 redness episodes. 3 at daycare, 1 at home. 3 involved eating wheat based products immediately prior, todays at daycare did not. He gets a marked demarcation line with no swelling or other reactions. I sent a disposable camera to daycare and they got a number of pictures evidently. And in all them Leif made sure to smile real big. ;-) (He is such a ham. I would expect nothing less.)

Possibilities...

Frey's Syndrome
Viral infection of some sort
Reaction from the chicken pox
Food allergy (falling on the list since today's episode was not food related)

-----------------------

On another note, work is good. On my good project the client is pushing really, really hard. And for good reason. She wants results and she wants GOOD results. We want to give her good results to. She is a very motivating person and I would love to give the project my all. But I can't. Not only do I have other projects to work on, but that project is nearing the end of the budget. $25K to support 1 project manager and 4 scientists and 2 project advisors is not a lot. And we are the bare bones project support. We will run out of money Dec 1. So sad.

At least I will be gone much of December! And this should also serve as motivation time to get other things done.

I had a meeting with my Co-PI on one of our projects. She went to a dinner get together that I bowed out of on Monday. There was just no way I was taking Leif to a brewpub after work while Hans was in class to shmooze, even though it would have been with my division director. And so far I can only be mildly accused of using Leif to my advantage with him. (His kids had the same daycare teacher that Leif has currently.)

Anyways, our division director approached C and asked her to get together with me and put our heads together. He wants to know what we would do with a half a million. What experiments would we do? What capabilities would we establish?

Wowzers. C's first response to him was that if she got a half million she would probably go vomit because her plate is too full already. Luckily he likes to hear things like that. (He told us previously that hearing things like that means he doesn't have to worry about finding us work.) He is submitting a $15 million proposal in conjunction with Berkeley and if they get the funding, and it is looking likely, $500,000 of that is earmarked for my and C's project. So get the ideas down... now.

So all in all, things are good here. I met with my mentor on Monday, he was back from DC for a day and fit me into his schedule. I should be working on a paper, but can do that tomorrow. I am keeping myself very, very busy which means I should never have to go crawling back to that awful PM for work!

No comments: