Friday, November 04, 2005

Green Peppercorn Sauce

I make this frequently, so I am hoping I remember the recipe. I will check it this evening and if it is incorrect I will make changes.

Green Peppercorn Sauce
(Source: Colorado Cache Cookbook from the Junior League of Denver)

3 T butter
1/2 c finely chopped shallots (sometimes I use leeks if I have them, plain old yellow onions will work too.)
1/4 c brandy
1 T ground green peppercorns (these are the green ones in a peppercorn mixture, AB has sat and picked them out for me on a rare occasion, but you can buy them - I use nearly 2 T because we like the spice)
1 cube of chicken bouillion
1 t Dijon mustard
1 c whipping cream
1 T butter at room temperature
Salt to taste

Melt the butter in a small saucepan and saute shallots until softened and transparent. Add the brandy and heat over medium high until reduced to about half. Add the ground peppercorns, bouillion cube and mustard and stir together. Add the whipping cream and cook until thickened over medium heat (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in last tablespoon of butter. Salt to taste.

-------------

We routinely serve this with pork, but I imagine it would be good with chicken or beef. I have also given thought to adding chicken broth instead of the bouillion cube to make a creamy soup base, but I haven't tried that yet.

No comments: