Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"When I grow up I wanna be an old woman..."

"an old old old old woman. Then I think I'm gonna marry myself an old man... we're gonna have 120 babies? 105 and 15 babies. We'll raise them on tiger's milk and green bananas, mangoes and coconuts and watermelon..."

That Michelle Shocked song always crosses my mind when I say to myself "when I grow up".

The following sums up the difference between my son and daughter.

Me: "Leif what do you want to be when you grow up?"

Leif: "A computer engineer."

Me: "Skadi what do you want to be when you grow up?"

Skadi: "A merdade." (Translation - mermaid.)

A conversation from this evening...

Skadi: "Ms. A is sick and that is so sad. I don't want anyone to ever get sick mommy."

Me: "I don't either. Maybe you should be a doctor when you grow up so you can help people not get sick."

Skadi: (Sits up in bed.) "NO MOMMY! I am not going to be a doctor, I have told you and told you that I am going to be a merdade when I grow up." (Plops back into her bed.)

Ten years from now I am going to be in big trouble... I know.

2 comments:

Rocky Mountain Homemaker said...

Your blog name caught my eye when I was commenting on Noreen's blog. I grew up in Los Alamos,NM. My dad is a physicist (retired now).
It was not until I was in my teens that I realized a nuclear family meant one made up of mom, dad and children, rather than a family whose dad or mom or both worked at a laboratory!
Have a great weekend.....Denise

Nuclear Mom said...

I love it Denise! Because in my family, it means both! Thanks for posting!