Thursday, January 04, 2007

A trip to the grocery store

I ran to Safeway over lunch. My heartburn was killing me, so I needed something for that. I also needed some lunch. I called AB on my way there and we decided we would do pita sandwiches for dinner tonight and so I would pick up the ingredients for those as well.

I waddled through the store collecting my items and then got in line. The older woman who rang me up said, “everything you bought is so healthy (she obviously overlooked my chocolate muffin), do you really think you are going to need heartburn medication after all that?”

I thought it was hilarious. I told her, “well I am also 7 months pregnant, so anything I eat requires use of some type of heartburn medication”.

She went on to tell me that I need to take apple cider vinegar for my heartburn. Something tells me I have heard this before, but the thought of swallowing vinegar just kind of grosses me out. She went on to tell me that she has heard that some people think vinegar is acidic, but it really isn’t. I bit my tongue, she was a nice grandmotherly sort who probably never took general chemistry or understands that vinegar is actually called acetic acid. I only chuckled a little when she added that another benefit to taking vinegar is that it is organic! It sure is… she was right there… CH3COOH is definitely an organic molecule.

Ok, my snobby geekiness has been expressed in the proper forum.

No comments: