Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Someone, somewhere is screaming "sucker"!

There is one person in my chain of management here at work who I really, really like. I do like my team lead and my manager. But there is one person that really just always makes me feel good about being here. And you know, he does the easiest thing a high level manager can do. Walk down the hall and say hi.

My associate lab director is seriously one of the nicest people I have ever met. He always strikes me as someone who truly cares. (Yes, I hear Catbert laughing evilly at me.) Today we were treated to ice cream in the lunch room as a thank you from him for 2 million hours worked without incident. He made a point of stopping by each lunch room to give a quick spiel and thank you. He had a lot of lunch rooms to stop by since we are spread ALL over the place.

After I finished my ice cream, listened to his little spiel, I went back to my office and settled back into work. My ALD, on his way out, instead of turning right and going to the door outside, takes a left and walks down to my office. Pokes his head in and asks how Leif is doing… what is he doing… etc. He tells me that his son is headed to Iraq tomorrow and so his daughter in law is coming out and staying with them with their one year old for a week and how excited he is to see them. What a cool guy.

I am not management material, but should I ever be in a high up position, I am taking a cue from my ALD. What a difference it makes in ones day to simply be acknowledged.

No comments: