Friday, December 17, 2004

Ok now

I organized a women's lunch last April as part of my contribution to the group outside of work. The idea being that there are so few women in my group here at work, and we all work in different and varied areas, and not together, that we should get to know each other. It has gone over really well. I have included scientists, engineers, admin staff and students.

For December we decided to do something different. We did a potluck and ornament exchange. Opted for the ornament exchange where you can open something new or steal someone elses. Everyone was having a great time and finally the last ornament was to be opened. OMG it was so funny. You know those little ornaments that you can put pictures in? Well a senior scientist put our managers picture in it! Yes, it was a crack up! We laughed and laughed for so long.

Sure enough it gets stolen by the biggest mouth in the group. She has it hanging up in her office. Bad move or not? The thing is notorious now. I just can't believe she won't take it home, but has left it up in hopes of him seeing it.

Ok arranging a women's lunch is stepping out there. A few of the guys have commented "but if we arranged a men's lunch it would be sexual harrassment". I wouldn't care, they all go out to lunch together anyways and never invite the women. But would the guys really have wanted to have an ornament exchange? Yeah right. I don't think so.

This ornament was definitely one of the highlights of my employment to date.

No comments: