Thursday, June 04, 2009

Backfired?

I have been testing out different tactics for getting rid of the binkies. Or binky, since Skadi only has one left.

We talked about giving all the binkies to Cate's new little sister. That worked for about a day, but evidently I have a me-centric daughter who doesn't think that is the best route and baby can buy her own.

Then Brooke's mommy posted about a fairy coming and taking the binkies. I liked this idea and so we have been suggesting that a fairy princess is going to come and take her binkies and leave cupcakes and a present (kind of like her birthday... that she still thinks is everyday... and apparently her teacher is STILL singing happy birthday to her daily at lunch). This was showing a little promise.

The other day one of Skadi's doll blankets went missing - it was in the other room, but oh well. It was missing.

"The princess took it," Skadi said matter of factly.

Ok, maybe this WOULD work! I started pushing it and talking about cupcakes and presents.

Then this evening hit...

Skadi was thrashing around in bed getting ready to fall asleep. While jabbering away about whatever the binky falls out of her mouth. I saw it slip under the cover.

About 5 minutes later she says, "binky?"

I said, "I don't know, maybe you should try falling asleep without it?"

She sits up on her knees.

And SCREAMS at the top of her lungs.

"PRINCESS YOU BRING MY BINKY BACK NOW! NOW PRINCESS! MEAN PRINCESS!"

I am mean, I was laughing so hard I could hardly stand it. I thought I would try and let this play out.

Then the lip started quivering... it dawned on me I didn't have a gift yet in exchange of the binky... and I certainly wasn't going to go downstairs and make cupcakes.

I started fishing around the bed for the binky.

Stuck it in her mouth.

"Princess needs to buy her own binky," Skadi tells me.

Sigh.

No comments: