Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Gotta love the 80's

(Vargas Girl... you knew it was coming.)

Oh the horror... the terror... of high school.

Couldn't pay me to go back. High school was the second worst time of my life - first being junior high. I dread Skadi being a 13-14 year old solely because I remember what a miserable time it was for me. Awkward, emotional... ick.

Ok, back to high school.

I found a picture the other day on my computer.

There is this folder on my computer called "Old Computer". Rarely I need something out of that folder.

The other day it was a picture of Leif as a newborn wearing the exact same outfit as Skadi. I wanted the comparison picture for her first year book I just finished making.

While scrolling through that list of pictures I took a doubletake.

At some point I scanned and uploaded a picture from high school there of Vargas Girl and I... and our boyfriends (also best friends) during our Junior year in high school.

We were so excited to go to the Boosters dance. It was one of the two "girl ask guy" dances every year. That year we actually had boyfriends and we were antsy to go as a foursome.

We bought some fun dresses and dolled them up a little - because that was the thing to do in the late 80's - to pretend like you were Molly Ringwold and could take a froo froo party dress and turn it into something Madonna-esque with just a little sewing here and there.

Even though I sit here and laugh and roll my eyes about the guys and all the signs that they should have been with each other and not with VG and I (they actually had their picture taken together - I mean what bigger flag did we need?), I still think back on this night as one of the best nights of my high school life - in actual organized high school events. (Ok, so I didn't do too many of those... so not a lot to compare to, but it still trumps my senior prom.)

There was a good sized group of us friends who convinced the DJ to play something other than Top 40. He agreed with one caveat... that if he did, we would get out there and dance. He convinced us that his job - his name - was on the line and that if people didn't dance, he wouldn't get the gig again.

Sure enough, English Beat, Stand Down Margaret hit the speakers.

I think we got a whole three songs in there before most likely an administrator or chaperone told the DJ to switch back to the mainstream stuff that the majority of the attendees knew and loved.
Our stint in the spotlight was short that night. But it validated us.

And stuck in my mind as the single best school dance I ever attended.


No comments: