Monday, September 06, 2010

Beaner Banter

Skadi and I were changing her sheets on her bed this morning.

Skadi: "I like beautiful things. My bed being made is beautiful mommy!"

Me: " I agree."

Skadi: "Daddy does not like beautiful things. His bed is all tumbly."

(Ok, that is my bed too... and I get it made most days...)

---------

Watching morning cartoons and (gasp!) a commercial came on. The kids have become more tolerant of commercials lately.

Skadi: "Look, that mommy on TV is cleaning the bathtub!"

Me: "Yep, she is."

Skadi: "My mommy doesn't clean bathtubs."

(Ok, must change to a different topic... this blog is starting to reflect poorly on me.)

--------

Skadi and I went to go get a pedicure. Skadi was very excited to go get her toenails done and couldn't wait to finish up lunch. On the way there she raved that this was a mommy and Skadi outting and "no boys allowed!"






She did great getting her pedicure! She sat very still and got bright pink paint that SHE picked out all by herself. The technician had her pegged right off the bat and painted flowers and put rhinestones on her big toenails. All the while I got to enjoy the warm water and massaging chair while someone else primped my daughter.



She came and sat by me when finished and was for the most part quite good. She watched Dora on my iPhone and played Fling.



Skadi: "Mommy, when is she going to do my fingers?"



Me: "Well honey, we just came for toenails."



(Lower lip quiver.)



Technician: "I can paint her nails too!"



Ok... I can either be the real bad guy here or I can indulge my little girl.



Me: "Fine, she can get her fingernails painted too."



When we were all finished...



Skadi: "Can we come back and do this again next weekend?"



Me: "Probably not."



Skadi: "When can we do it again?"



Me: "I am sure we can have another girl's afternoon soon."



Skadi: "Ok then. I think we should go shopping at Target now!"



Oh my.



----------



Leif has lately been into trying new foods. Part of it probably has to do with our marble rewards system. Each of the kids have a jar and I have a big fish bowl thing full of multicolored glass rocks. When they do something good, they get a marble. When they do something bad, they lose one.



AB added in the rule that if you lose a marble then you have to take it out yourself and if you refuse and we have to take one out, we take two instead. This has been working pretty well in our house. It works better than sticker charts for me and the kids because I don't have to remember to make a new sticker chart, and so far the rewards are pretty vague. Leif has stated he is saving all his marbles to get a Wii Spiderman game. We have been doing this for about 6-8 weeks and his jar is about 1/8th full... but he is still targeting that Wii Spiderman game. I figure he will earn it at about Christmastime.



Skadi hasn't done as great with the marbles. It does kill her to lose a marble, and she keeps getting them for things like a good report from her teachers, sharing with her brother and sleeping through the night. But she doesn't succumb to the marble bribery like Leif does.



Me: "Skadi if you eat some salad you can get a marble."



Skadi: "I don't want a marble."



Compare to...



Me: "Leif if you eat some salad you can get a marble."



Leif: (Gobble gobble gobble.) "Mmm, I like salad. Can I try some of that asparagus and get a marble too?"



Leif has even been trying new foods without us asking, counting on the fact that we do notice this and will immediately tell him he can get a marble. This is amazingly broadening his culinary horizons substantially.



I look forward to the day when Skadi views this as a competition...

No comments: