Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Son of the Safety Man

I can be a touch neurotic when it comes to worrying about wacky things my kids could do that could hurt themselves. I retain all those stories about wacky things other kids have done and how they could go terribly wrong.

The physician I used to work for had awhile there where his four year old was sleep walking. Sleep walking down the stairs and straight out the front door and down the street. Imagine answering the phone in the middle of the night from your neighbor saying they found your daughter about four houses down in the middle of the street.

Yeah, I can't either.

This is why I have child locks on my front door.

A coworker of mine heard a crash one afternoon while she was at home with her kids. Went into her five year olds bedroom and his dresser was toppled. He had decided to stand on one of the drawers and it wasn't attached to the wall. She said it just made her sick as she showed me the aftermath of the heavy, heavy dresser on the floor. Kids have been seriously injured in accidents like these.

I warned Leif the other day that his dresser wasn't attached to the wall like it was in the old house yet, so I wanted him to be very careful and not pull hard on it because it could tip over.

The result of this statement is one freaked out child.

Leif will not get clothes out of his dresser at all out of fear of the dresser toppling over on top of him. Poor kid gets terribly freaked out when the dresser even wobbles a little when *I* am getting his clothes out.

"Mommy," he has told me for the last three mornings, "we need to get the safety strap on this so it doesn't tip over on me!"

AB is working on it. (Lowes did NOT carry them in the childproofing aisle he discovered this evening.)

No comments: