Monday, July 14, 2008

Travel Toys Review

Ok so this isn't a product review blog, but since enough people talk about travel toys for kids, I thought I would post how things went with our travels... and the kids... and their toys.

First off, Totally Tape. Five stars (out of five). Buy it. Buy it even if you aren't traveling with kids. What kid doesn't like tape? Leif particularly does. There were two problems though - Leif wasn't able to tear the tape himself. This wasn't a problem IN Alaska since Aunty Tara just gave him a spare pair of scissors to zip into the tape carry bag to keep with it. Was a little bit more of an issue on the plane though. And evidently if *I* tore the tape off for him, it meant the tape didn't count and couldn't possibly go into the book. Instead it went on his face and ended up in Skadi's hair. The biggest problem I have with this though is that it was so popular with Leif that it was out ALL the time. Which also meant it was being constantly stashed by a crazy cleaning mother in law preparing for the 4th and it didn't make it home with us. At least that I can find.

Next Auto Bingo ranks high. Not because Leif ever actually used it properly by finding the items and closing the window and looking at the scenery. Nope, this one ranks up there because do you know how many times a four year old can open and close 25 (or so) little red transparent windows? (Oh about 20 times.) And do you know how long it takes him to do it? (Longer than it takes you and I.) Nearly everytime we got in the car we would hand him an Auto Bingo card and he was busy for a good solid 30 minutes. Of course each time he closed them all he had to send it up to me for examination.

The next in popularity was the Magnet Set. Leif wanted to like it, I could tell. He really wanted to play with it. But I got the impression he just wasn't sure what to do with it. I suppose part of this comes from the fact that maybe he didn't understand pretend play with it. I am not sure. He was anxious to play with it, got it out a few times, but never really went anywhere with it and it was often neglected.

Color Wonder... ho hum. I want Leif to like this. I really do. I love art. I want him to do art - and he is bringing more home from school in his new room. But apparently my son is taking after my husband in this regard. Do art? Why when there is wood to chop? Or a sister to tickle? Or a nose to pick? Skadi however, was interested in the Color Wonder book and did much scribbling in the Cars coloring book. Then she used the markers as drum sticks (prompting Leif to request markers too) and finally, they became projectiles. And then everyone on the plane around us was kind enough to let us know where the markers went after the flight was over.

The Leapster... never made it out of the bag. I know, I worked hard to convince my husband it was the perfect toy, a surefire hit! Something that would keep Leif busy as a good alternative to DVDs. And for the record, Leif watched a whole two DVDs the entire trip - and both were on the day AB and I went fishing and he hung out with grandma and my SIL and BIL. Still it didn't take up much room and I do see the day when the Leapster is the coveted toy on trips.

Go Fish... forgot about it and it never made it out of the bottom of the bag until we got home and unpacked. Oh well.

The one thing I would recommend that I didn't buy beforehand is one of those "Find the Object" books. We happened to stop at Barnes and Noble while in Anchorage and Leif perused the kids section. He came to me with two books in hand. And really, I just can't say no to book purchases. He had a Star Wars book, something like "The Making of Darth Vadar" as well as one of these little books where you scan and scan the page for some small item and then your 4 year-old has to tell you where it is. Yes, like "Where's Waldo". Leif loves these. We have a Mouse one at home that was a gift a year or so ago from my dad and Leif still loves it even though he has memorized the mouse position on each page. Now he has a new one, and looked at it a ton on the trip.

For Skadi? The tea set reigned supreme. It was used by all the kids and I think we only lost one cup. Skadi loves her tea! She also liked her little backpack and cosmetic bag full of Little People things.

Skadi is at that difficult stage where she needs attention and entertaining, but is only ever insterested in one item for about five minutes before she wants something new. This made her the more difficult child on the trip.

Leif spent much of the time at the cabin wandering around talking to himself (no idea where he gets this at all) or out on the dock fishing. He swam some in the lake with daddy. No way was mommy getting in that cold water. He helped me with making salsa, helped grandma cut some weeds down and enjoyed going on the boat whenever possible. Truly, he needed little in the way of entertainment. Now let's just see if I remember this post in November when we head to Colorado.

No comments: